Saturday, October 5, 2013

HE > i

HE>i.  That says it all.  I am nothing. HE is everything.  For all practical purposes, I have no resources, no great influence.  I wasn't born with any great vision to save the world.  And, yet, I am on this "train" of life, headed to Africa.  At least my heart is today.  And then I reflect on the book called "Tombi's Song", a book my parents gave me when I was about 9 years old.  My 1st "gifted" book - a story about a little African girl...  And I suddenly am remembering something my grandmother said to me when I stayed the night with her.  We were in her kitchen, doing dishes and she says, lovingly, "Someday you will be a missionary to Africa... or be Miss America." haha  I much preferred Miss America.  I had absolutely no heart or understanding or desire to go to AFRICA.   And then, fast forward - I am a young Mom with a 4 year old and 1 year old.  Some missionaries from the African Inland Mission in Nairobi, Kenya come to our church.  They had needs for teachers... for someone like my husband... and suddenly, we were at a crossroads - I DON'T want to go to Africa!  And God was okay with that.  And then our 1 year old was 19 and spends time after graduation with an organization called YWAM.  He travels to where?  Kenya, Africa.  He brings back photos, videos and heartbreaking stories... and suddenly I see real people and real tragedies and I am at a crossroads again.

In January of this year (2013), I started this Mission group, with great support from my family and church.  And here I am - a nobody - trying to raise funds for this Mission.  Our 1st trip to Africa to assist a village with a women's clinic, helping with their school, AIDS patients & more, is planned for July 2013.  I am thinking of ways to make the impossible - possible - and I decide to train for a Bike Across Florida with a great adventure group, Going The Distance, out of Tampa, FL.  Am I scared?  YES.  But, again, so much support from family and friends and I begin to train.  On  Saturday, September 28th, I am training with my friend, Jennifer Price, when while riding on the bike path/shoulder, it suddenly drops off - and I crash.  Pretty bad.  Several broken ribs and broken thumb.  There were more injuries, but thankfully, this was the worst.  I am thankful, but I am also left with a question?  "God, what is that all about?"  Was it to save the team from that Bike Across FL date (since it ended up being canceled)?  Was there some other way God wanted to provide for Mission: Hope?  I'm not sure I will ever know, but I am content to know that God really has our best interest in mind.

Here is the exciting thing about being a Christ-follower - Though we are weak, HE is strong.  When we feel we want to give up, God refreshes our spirits and infuses our hearts with hope.  I am still in the "this is not fun" stage of fundraising, and, yet, I am strangely compelled.  HE > i.  I only want to follow His lead.  Thank you for praying for Mission:Hope! :) Natalie Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment