Thursday, October 31, 2013

Why I do Missions

A dear friend, Sarah Morin, passed this awesome book to me.  What is so great about this book is that it has challenged my heart and motives.  Why am I driven to do Missions?  For one, reaching out and "doing" gives me that great feeling that I'm making a difference in the world.  I go to sleep feeling a little better about myself... and think, "Wow, that felt so good - I want to do that again!"  But what if "I" were the recipient of the help?  I much prefer being the "giver".  What if I had to be the receiver?  That doesn't always feel so good.  As we plan our first trip to Nairobi, Kenya - first to the slums and then to the villages... we want to not just be a source of temporary help, so that we can feel good about what we've done.  We want to EMPOWER the local church, as they develop long-term RELATIONSHIPS with the people.  We want the money collected to be used to build up LOCAL organizations that truly will empower the poor - long after we leave.  To Africans, we are known as the "mzungu" - the powerful, rich, educated white people.  When we leave Africa, we want to be known as the "humble" - seeking to direct the poor to Jesus, because WE too, are poor without Him -.  HE is the one who can bring light into their darkness.  Please keep praying for this trip... For safety... For wisdom... For blessings to all those we encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment